Oldest House Indian Shop Barrio De Analco Historic District 215 E. De Vargas St. Santa Fe. NM  87501 505-988-2488 inquiry@oldesthouseindianshop.com Open 9:00 am - 6:00 pm every day Closed Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas
…where the past lives on…
Timeless Treasures
De   Vargas   Street   House   located   at   215   E.   De   Vargas   Street   on   the   eastern   side   of   Old   Santa   Fe Trail   in   Santa   Fe,   New   Mexico   within   the   Barrio   De   Analco   Historic   District ,   is   one   of   the   oldest buildings in America. The   Oldest   House   rests   on   part   of   the   foundation   of   an   ancient   Indian   Pueblo   dating   from   around 1200   CE.      This   pueblo   was   once   inhabited   by   a   tribe   from   the   Tano   speaking   tribes   of   the northern   part   of   the   territory.      Sometime   around   1435   CE,   this   tribe   abandoned   their   village, moving   on   to   other   sites   farther   south   in   search   of   water,   better   fields   or   hunting   grounds.      In 1598,   Don   Juan   de   Onate   led   a   party   of   Spanish   settlers   into   the   area   in   search   of   a   suitable place   to   establish   a   permanent   settlement.     Accompanying   Onate   were   Tlaxcalan   Indian   warrior auxiliaries.      The   small   band   seems   to   have   gravitated   to   their   own   ward,   or   barrio,   soon   known as   El   Barrio   de   Analco   at   the   same   time   La   Villa   Real   de   Santa   Fe   de   San   Francisco   de   Asisi was founded in 1608.. The   Tlaxcalans   found   the   river   site   met   their   every   need.      The   river   provided   ample   water   for irrigation   of   cornfields   to   the   south   ot   the   San   Miguel   Church   and   an   abundance   of   sweet   tasting stream trout to grace their tables. During   the   Great   Pueblo   Rebellion,   the   Indians   of   the   Barrio   de   Analco   suffered   greatly.      Their homes   were   sacked   and   burned   with   a   heavy   loss   of   life.      The   survivors   retreated   across   the river   and   joined   the   Spaniards   in   a   spirited   but   successful   defense   of   the   Villa.      The   Spanish withdrew   from   the   Villa   with   the   Tlaxcalans.      Only   a   few   of   the   first   Tlaxcalans   are   believed   to have returned to Santa Fe after the reconquest by Don Diego de Vargas in 1692-1693. Between   1709-1710   the   “Oldest   House”   became   temporary   residence   to   Spanish   Territorial Governor   Chacon   Medina   Salazar,   Marquez   de   Penuela,   while   repairs   were   being   made   to   the San Miguel Church. By the late 1800s, genizaros or acculturated plains Indians such as the Apaches   and   Navajos,   as   well   as   the   families   of   Spanish   soldiers   were   living   in   the   Barrio.      Up until   the   1920s   the   Oldest   House   was   continually   occupied   by   people   representing   all   the cultures of Santa Fe.
De Vargas Street House  The Oldest House
Barrio De Analco Historic District
The   National   Historic   Landmark   Barrio   De   Analco   Historic   District   in   Santa   Fe,   New   Mexico   is one   of   the   oldest   residential   neighborhoods   of   European   origin   in   the   United   States.      Originally settled   in   1620   by   the   Spanish,   Barrio   (or   District)   de   Analco   suffered   major   destruction   during the   1680   Great   Pueblo   Revolt.      The   Spanish   rebuilt   Analco   beginning   in   1692   during   their recolonization   of   New   Mexico.      The   buildings   of Analco   are   in   the   Spanish   Pueblo   and   Territorial styles   that   reflect   the   merger   of   Spanish,   Indian   and   eventually American   building   techniques.      In the   seven   adobe   brick   buildings   that   make   up   the   Barrio   de   Analco   Historic   District   visitors   can see   how   working-class   Spanish   colonists,   Tlaxcalan   Indians   and   other American   Indians   lived   in Santa Fe during the late 17th and early 18th centuries. The   Spanish   first   settled   Santa   Fe   during   the   winter   of   1609-1610   as   they   sought   to   “civilize”   the North   American   continent   and   to   expand   their   New   World   empire.      Mirroring   other   Spanish colonial   settlements   of   the   era,   the   colony   in   Santa   Fe   was   a   defensible   fort   and   village   set around    a    central    plaza.        Also    featured    in    this    itinerary,    the    Santa    Fe    Plaza    became    the commercial,   social   and   political   center   of   the   community.      Fearing   attacks   from   the   local   Pueblo Indians,   many   high-ranking   Spanish   officials   and   citizens   built   their   homes   around   the   plaza because it was a central defendable area. As   Santa   Fe   prospered,   the   original   settlement   expanded   to   include   growing   neighborhoods   on the   opposite   side   of   the   Santa   Fe   River   from   the   plaza.      By   1620,   the   newly   constructed   Chapel of   San   Miguel   was   in   place   and   a   suburb,   the   Barrio   de   Analco,   began   to   grow.      The   Tlaxcalan Indian   word,   “Analco,”   means   “the   other   side   of   the   river,”   which   distinguished   this   barrio   from   the neighborhood   on   the   plaza   side   of   the   Santa   Fe   River   where   government   officials   and   other prominent   citizens   resided   and   attended   mass.      The   Chapel   of   San   Miguel   provided   laborers, artisans and Tlaxcalan Indian servants with a place to worship in the growing suburb.
Copyright  2017 Oldest House Indian Shop
De Vargas Street House  “The Oldest House”
Jewelry
Pottery
Fetishes
Gifts
Flutes
Arts & Crafts
Kachinas
Print
Barrio De Analco Historic District
De   Vargas   Street   House   located   at   215   E.   De   Vargas   Street   on   the   eastern   side   of Old   Santa   Fe   Trail   in   Santa   Fe,   New   Mexico   within   the   Barrio   De   Analco   Historic District , is one of the oldest buildings in America. The   Oldest   House   rests   on   part   of   the   foundation   of   an   ancient   Indian   Pueblo   dating from   around   1200   CE.      This   pueblo   was   once   inhabited   by   a   tribe   from   the   Tano speaking   tribes   of   the   northern   part   of   the   territory.      Sometime   around   1435   CE,   this tribe   abandoned   their   village,   moving   on   to   other   sites   farther   south   in   search   of water,   better   fields   or   hunting   grounds.      In   1598,   Don   Juan   de   Onate   led   a   party   of Spanish   settlers   into   the   area   in   search   of   a   suitable   place   to   establish   a   permanent settlement.      Accompanying   Onate   were   Tlaxcalan   Indian   warrior   auxiliaries.      The small   band   seems   to   have   gravitated   to   their   own   ward,   or   barrio,   soon   known   as   El Barrio   de   Analco   at   the   same   time   La   Villa   Real   de   Santa   Fe   de   San   Francisco   de Asisi was founded in 1608.. The   Tlaxcalans   found   the   river   site   met   their   every   need.      The   river   provided   ample water   for   irrigation   of   cornfields   to   the   south   ot   the   San   Miguel   Church   and   an abundance of sweet tasting stream trout to grace their tables. During   the   Great   Pueblo   Rebellion,   the   Indians   of   the   Barrio   de   Analco   suffered greatly.      Their   homes   were   sacked   and   burned   with   a   heavy   loss   of   life.      The survivors    retreated    across    the    river    and    joined    the    Spaniards    in    a    spirited    but successful    defense    of    the    Villa.       The    Spanish    withdrew    from    the    Villa    with    the Tlaxcalans.      Only   a   few   of   the   first Tlaxcalans   are   believed   to   have   returned   to   Santa Fe after the reconquest by Don Diego de Vargas in 1692-1693. Between   1709-1710   the   “Oldest   House”   became   temporary   residence   to   Spanish Territorial   Governor   Chacon   Medina   Salazar,   Marquez   de   Penuela,   while   repairs were being made to the San Miguel Church. By the late 1800s, genizaros or acculturated plains Indians such as the Apaches   and   Navajos,   as   well   as   the   families   of   Spanish   soldiers   were   living   in   the Barrio.      Up   until   the   1920s   the   Oldest   House   was   continually   occupied   by   people representing all the cultures of Santa Fe.
De Vargas Street House The Oldest House
Barrio De Analco Historic District
The   National   Historic   Landmark   Barrio   De   Analco   Historic   District   in   Santa   Fe,   New Mexico   is   one   of   the   oldest   residential   neighborhoods   of   European   origin   in   the United   States.      Originally   settled   in   1620   by   the   Spanish,   Barrio   (or   District)   de Analco    suffered    major    destruction    during    the    1680    Great    Pueblo    Revolt.        The Spanish   rebuilt   Analco   beginning   in   1692   during   their   recolonization   of   New   Mexico.     The   buildings   of   Analco   are   in   the   Spanish   Pueblo   and   Territorial   styles   that   reflect the   merger   of   Spanish,   Indian   and   eventually   American   building   techniques.      In   the seven   adobe   brick   buildings   that   make   up   the   Barrio   de   Analco   Historic   District visitors   can   see   how   working-class   Spanish   colonists,   Tlaxcalan   Indians   and   other American Indians lived in Santa Fe during the late 17th and early 18th centuries. The   Spanish   first   settled   Santa   Fe   during   the   winter   of   1609-1610   as   they   sought   to “civilize”    the    North   American    continent    and    to    expand    their    New    World    empire.      Mirroring   other   Spanish   colonial   settlements   of   the   era,   the   colony   in   Santa   Fe   was   a defensible   fort   and   village   set   around   a   central   plaza.      Also   featured   in   this   itinerary, the    Santa    Fe    Plaza    became    the    commercial,    social    and    political    center    of    the community.        Fearing    attacks    from    the    local    Pueblo    Indians,    many    high-ranking Spanish   officials   and   citizens   built   their   homes   around   the   plaza   because   it   was   a central defendable area. As    Santa    Fe    prospered,    the    original    settlement    expanded    to    include    growing neighborhoods   on   the   opposite   side   of   the   Santa   Fe   River   from   the   plaza.      By   1620, the   newly   constructed   Chapel   of   San   Miguel   was   in   place   and   a   suburb,   the   Barrio de   Analco,   began   to   grow.      The   Tlaxcalan   Indian   word,   “Analco,”   means   “the   other side   of   the   river,”   which   distinguished   this   barrio   from   the   neighborhood   on   the   plaza side   of   the   Santa   Fe   River   where   government   officials   and   other   prominent   citizens resided   and   attended   mass.      The   Chapel   of   San   Miguel   provided   laborers,   artisans and Tlaxcalan Indian servants with a place to worship in the growing suburb.
Copyright  2017 Oldest House Indian Shop
Oldest House Indian Shop Barrio De Analco Historic District 215 E. De Vargas St. Santa Fe. NM  87501 505-988-2488 inquiry@oldesthouseindianshop.com Open 9:00 am - 6:00 pm every day Closed Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas
Timeless Treasures
…where the past lives on…
Jewelry
Kachinas
Pottery
Gifts
Flutes
Fetishes
Arts &Crafts
Print